Saturday, May 2, 2009

MUSINGS OF A SWINE FLU

I work in a Petri dish otherwise known as a hospital. As we gear up our education talks with patients and remind one another of the ABC’s of protecting ourselves, my mind wanders…………

  • Get plenty of exercise because exercise helps build your immune system.
  • Wash your hands often. If you can’t wash them, keep a bottle of antibacterial stuff around.
  • Wear a mask when out in public places and avoid going out in public as much as possible while the swine flu is spreading.
  • Get lots of fresh air. Open windows whenever possible.
  • Get plenty of rest.
  • Try to eliminate as much stress from your life as you can.


OR …. You can take the doctor’s office approach. Think about it, when you go for a shot, what do they do first? Clean your arm with alcohol.. Why?
Because alcohol kills germs. So……

  • I put on my mask,
  • walk to the liquor store (exercise),
  • I put lime in my Corona (fruit),
  • celery in my Bloody Mary (veggies),
  • drink on the bar patio (fresh air),
  • tell jokes, and laugh (eliminate stress)
  • then pass out (rest). The way I see it, if you keep your alcohol levels up flu germs can’t get you!!!!

Ok kidding aside and on a more serious note, I just find myself AMUSED and AGHAST all at the same time!


~ Amusement…Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt can use even a pandemic to capitalize on their career. Genius I say! I think they beat out Madonna and Paris Hilton on creatively reinventing ways to storm media attention.

~ Aghast…..Yes I realize swine flu is aptly named because of its origin but if I’m going to be infected by a virus I want it to be named something a little more provocative.


Something such as CC H1N1 (Cindy Crawford) VSH2S1 (Victoria Secret)GB3400N (Gisele Bundchen) or even HBIn2T (Halle Berry).
My good friend Laurie shared her opinion with me on this subject and added
“I agree! Something about Swine, Bovine, Canine, Blubonic, etc. – just not as ‘romantic’ as, say, ‘Scarlet Fever’ – now there’s a romantic disease! Ha! ; )”
Funnay Lauurriieeee


To cap off this irrelevant conversation with something more relevant I could not sign off without talking about matters of the heart. It is hard not to be swept up in fear and speculation as the media shows scads of people wearing masks and people getting sick.
I don’t doubt someday we will have a day such as this and it will be much more virulent. We see it in the hospitals now, stronger strains of viruses and bacteria. It takes more and more antibiotics to kill off a bug that used to take one simple antibiotic.
The Lord gives us clear instruction repeatedly to rest in Him, cast our cares on Him, to be anxious for nothing and…..


“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).


“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones” (Proverbs 3:5-8).


“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10).

Blessed be the name of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment