Monday, January 9, 2012

To be thought a fool





I just read the below story the other day and most definitely felt the Holy Spirits stir on my heart...

Late one summer evening in Broken Bow, Nebraska, a weary truck driver pulled his rig into an all-night truck stop. He was tired and hungry. The waitress had just served him when three tough looking, leather jacketed motorcyclist - of the Hell's Angels type - decided to give him a hard time. Not only did they verbally abuse him, one grabbed the hamburger off his plate, another took a handful of his french fries, and the third picked up his coffee and began to drink it.

How did this trucker respond? How would you respond?


Well, this trucker did not respond as one might expect. Instead, he calmly rose, picked up his check, walked to the front of the room, put the check and his money on the cash register, and went out the door. The waitress followed him to put the money in the till and stood watching out the door as the big truck drove away into the night.
When she returned, one of the cyclists said to her, "Well, he's not much of a man, is he?"
She replied, "I don't know about that, but he sure isn't much of a truck driver. He just ran over three motorcycles on his way out of the parking lot."

                                                   Source: Uploaded by user via Robin on Pinterest



Do you love hearing stories like that? Stories of revenge and retaliation?


I sure do and hope I'm not alone. I laughed right out loud.
I've mellowed over the years but my personality is one of a survivor. I'm not afraid of conflict and I almost ALWAYS err on the side of confrontation. It's a character trait that has come in handy AND AT THE SAME EXACT TIME I like the least!


Don't get me wrong, I do have compassion and empathy. Without those guys I couldn't be an effective nurse, mom, wife or friend. However I would love to befriend the fruit of self control a little more oft.


I delight in my God's kind ways and how He gently woos us to Him. I love that He is always doing a work in us as we allow.

If we wait, are patient and leave room for Him, He will shower us with His Glory and it will rain down on us with healing warm salve.


Forgiving doesn’t mean excusing a wrong or denying that it ever happened. It means we don’t allow ourselves to be consumed with anger towards the one who has done something to us. Instead of cursing the people who have wronged us, we pray for them. 





"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln


This weeks multitude

#253 His grace

#254 His mercy
#255 His forgiveness
#256 His patience
#257 His love

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin - a lot of what you say about yourself are things that I battle with too. On the one hand, my directness comes in handy and people know where they stand with me, on the other, I appear insensitive or uncaring when I'm actually too practical to fluff out a conversation. I too am grateful for God's grace with me. By the way, i also laughed when I read that :)
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for swinging by Tracy.Thanks for sharing and isn't it good to know we are not alone =) Hope all is well with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete