Friday, February 3, 2012

Towanda buys a Valentines day card

Funny Fridays
 
A friend recently sent me the below video of a hairy parking lot scene which was quite reminiscent of a scene from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes."





I'm not saying it's right, but I will admit there is something a little cathartic to my bones when taking in the below clips.

We have all had similar situations. If not in a parking lot then at the gas station, at our children's school, standing in line at the grocery store or maybe even in the post office.

Why even today I was standing in the massive card isle at a superstore. Enjoying precious rare moments alone to pick the perfect Valentines day cards for my children. Not a soul in sight.


Out of the blue, stands a woman behind me so close I could feel her BREATH ON MY HAIR. She literally (no exaggeration) physically reached for a card in front and to the other side of me which TOTALLY pushed me back.
  • First thought: "There must be a camera. If I'm going to be on candid camera or something I need to behave."
No camera!

  • Second thought.."Maybe she has special needs". I studied her....
NO, she was humming along like it was THE BEST DAY OF HER LIFE!

My inner Towanda (flesh) was screaming. 

  • Third thought: Throwing my card at her while yelling "Look lady back off you have a 300' row of cards to look at do you really need to read the card I'm holding in my HANDS"

Meanwhile the Holy Spirit was saying LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GENTLENESS LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GENTLENESSLOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GENTLENESS LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GENTLENESS....

So the moral is this: Thoughts (temptations) are just that. We have one, we chew on it and we either act on it or hand it to the Lord.
Though I've wanted to ram my car door a few times, smash into a car that has just behaved badly, ram my shopping cart into the back of someone who just cut in front of me, pull the moms hair whose kid is a spoiled bully or slap a woman with my Valentines day card, I don't.

Why? Well I don't want to get arrested.

But more importantly I love the Lord and well, He is a God of L O V E! Seriously how would I explain to my children...
Well kids I was standing in the Valentines section looking at cards all about love and I don't know I just pushed her down....?

I can however laugh a little at the genius of mans creativity and sense of humor as obviously I'm not the only one who has ever contemplated these things =)





Towanda in the Winn Dixie parking lot



No comments:

Post a Comment